Email : [email protected]

How to Apply for a Child UK Visa - Procedure and Benefits

Are you a British citizen with children living or born abroad? Or are you an expat wanting to apply for UK citizenship along with a child UK visa for your child(ren)?

If the answer to any of the above questions is yes, you’re eligible to apply for a child UK visa. Your child needs to be below 18 years of age to apply for a child UK visa. One of the benefits of getting a UK visa for your child is the eligibility to enroll him/her in any school in the UK. To illustrate, your child would need to be 4 to 17 years of age in order to be eligible for a student permit from the UK visa.

How to Apply for a Child UK Visa

You will need to apply online if you are applying from outside of the UK. You will need to complete the VAF4A Appendix 1 Application form and fill the required documents to submit online.

Documents You’ll Need to Apply for Your Child’s UK Visa

  • a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from your child’s course provider
  • written consent from you parent or legal guardian for your child’s study in the UK
  • a current passport or other valid travel documentation

In addition you may also need supplementary documents:

  • written consent for the application from the financial sponsor if your child has received sponsorship for their course fees and living costs in the last 12 months
  • proof of your child’s relationship to you as a parent or a guardian (for example a birth certificate or other government issued document showing their names)
  • proof that you child has enough money to support yourself and pay for their course - this will vary depending on the circumstances
  • evidence of the qualifications your child used to get a place on the course - if this was required by your course provider
  • your child’s tuberculosis (TB) test results

Usually, the process may take 12 weeks if you’re applying from outside the UK, or upto 8 weeks if you’re applying from inside the UK. However, the process may take even longer if your child

- does not meet the requirement
- cannot prove English language ability
- has a criminal record
- hasn’t provided all the required documents
- needs to attend an additional interview

Benefits for Applying for a Child UK Visa

Since British citizens with children outside the UK are eligible for a child UK visa, this visa type falls into the family visa category. This type of visa will enable you to enter and remain in the UK, with no immigration restrictions to bring your non-EU child in the UK to live and study.

Study: One of the benefits of the child UK visa is the opportunity to enroll your child in UK schools. In fact, having an unconditional offer to study in the UK will greatly enhance the chances of getting a child UK visa for your kids. In order to do this, your child must have:

  1. The consent of the parent or guardian to study in the UK school
  2. Be able to prove your child will have enough money access to support the school education in the UK
  3. Have an unconditional offer at a place on a course in an independent UK school

Live without immigration hurdles: One of the main benefits of a child UK visa is the opportunity to permanently settle in the UK. Your child may be eligible to settle in the UK indefinitely if one of you or both parents of your children have an indefinite leave to remain or have proof of permanent residence in the UK. Moreover, if one of the parents among you has a settled status, you might be eligible to apply for a EU Settlement Scheme.

Work: Once your child has passed atleast 5 years studying or living in the UK, he/she will be eligible to apply for UK citizenship to work and earn in the country.

The process of applying for a Child UK Visa is a very complicated process and must not be left to unprofessional. A slight mistake in the process can cost you and your child both money and time, in addition to a rejection of the visa fees. We at Precedent & Visa Services are here to help you. You can seek counsel of our professionals for help in any process of the child UK visa.